Hello Tributes! We now move onto the conclusion of The Hunger Games. We begin part 3 by discussing Chapter 19. Remember that even though we are starting a new chapter, I encourage you to continue the discussion in the other threads dedicated to chapters 1-18. And of course for the culinary at heart, you'll find the cookbook thread HERE
Furthermore, if you have any suggestions or questions regarding the Book Club, please either send me a message or post on the thread found HERE
Please do not hesitate to share your ideas on how the Book Club can be improved. I welcome any and all.
"The Hunger Games"
Part 3: The Victor
Summary: At the end of Chapter 18, we are made aware of a rule change. Apparently, there can now be two victors if they originate from the "same" district. Katniss begins to realize that perhaps this rule change means that Peeta has been helping Katniss all along, even when he sided with the careers. In the morning, she immediately begins trying to track Peeta. She eventually comes across him near the stream, where he is entirely camouflaged. Katniss inspects his injuries and finds them to be quite bad. The wound in his leg from Cato goes right down to the bone, and Katniss's attempt to clean it does not seem to be helping much.
Nevertheless, the duo from District 12 manage to find a nearby cave and make camp there. Haymitch sends a parachute with soup, which Katniss deciphers as meaning she needs to do more to play up the Star Crossed Lovers appearance.
Although we are all elated by the new rule change and the prospect of Katniss and Peeta winning together, it is overshadowed by this sudden revelation that Peeta is gravely ill with a seemingly fatal wound. Here are some discussion questions:
1. How and where does Katniss find Peeta? Describe his condition.
2. Compare and contrast Katniss’ reaction to illness with how she describes how her mother and Prim react to illness back in the Seam. Why would Prim be better in the arena than Katniss during this situation with Peeta?
3. What is Peeta's true talent?
4. How does Katniss treat Peeta's wound?
5. Where do they hide out?
6. How and why do they get the pot of broth?
7. How do you think Haymitch feels about Katniss and Peeta? Who do you think he believes to be the stronger competitor and why?
Quote of the Week
"No. Shut up and eat your pears!" -Katniss